The Signs of Spring
I had so much fun playing with my camera yesterday and looking for signs that spring is on it's way in. There is so much green despite the foot and a half of snow. It's nothing at all like spring in Calgary.
I haven't spent a lot of time with my camera in recent years. I've been too busy trying to keep up with my kids to keep them safe. Now that they are so much older, I can hang out outside with them, but completely ignore them so I can take pictures.
I really like using the macro setting to take fine pictures of itty bitty things, especially mosses. And playing with the depth of field is fun as well. And then there is editing the photos afterwards! So many things I forgot I enjoyed. One of the blessings of slowing things down to a crawl.
It was such a beautiful day. It was almost too hot to wear my sweater (with my boots and snow pants), and no mittens were needed despite playing in the snow. I spent a long time feeling the heat of the sun on my back, and watching chikadees flit through the trees. The crows were back and forth as well, picking up sticks and other items to build nests.
This morning we are doing some blogging, some coloring, and making a list of jobs. Turns out, we have to take care of our space, and the kids and I are not great at it. Maybe the lists will help. Maybe they won't.

My eyes keep moving back and forth between the horizontal lines on the birch bark and the vertical ones on the cedar bark. The green moss allows me to centre my gaze and let the details of the competing textures fade into the background. Stunning photo, Miranda.
ReplyDeleteAbout your first photo, is that wild ginger growing next to Arta's front flower bed?
ReplyDeleteI don't know what plant it is, but it's next to the garage.
DeleteThe heart shaped leaf of the wild ginger (asarum) really pops for me when I look at the forest floor. I am transported back to a vivid childhood memory of being on a walk with my mother, hearing her talk about the plant, her hand cupping a leaf, her shoes and pant leg are in the image too. I must have had sticky attention to the plant as I can only hear her voice not see her face.
DeleteThat lump of ice in the forth photo seemed like one of the rocks until I began to study each shape carefully. That was a fun surprise.
ReplyDeleteI like the pictures as well. I am going to dust off my own camera. I have put it away in favour of just using the camera on my phone. But it can't do everything. I really laughed when I saw that Betty is wearing a tiara on her head and out there kneeling in the snow to get her little fire started.
ReplyDeleteWas it only last spring that we were burning the shingles!
I was reading an article in The New Yorker today about composting in Korea and in New York. I was thinking about the composting out at the lake and how easy it is to bin everything that is organic. Don't give that job away to someone else. I want it.
ReplyDelete